Creative Combustion Blog
Marketing and branding tips for the badass small business owner.
Showing 1 posts originally aired in February 2011
February 28, 2011
Why is it that some small businesses seem to nail their brand from day one while others really struggle to carve out their unique niche? Over the weekend I visited Burgh’ers, a local restaurant that opened in the fall of 2010 and even though they’re still relatively new, they already have their unique brand figured out.
So what makes them different? Let’s take a look at their 6 key ingredients.
February 25, 2011
A few months ago, I ran into my local FedEx Kinko’s only to find myself in the middle of a major construction zone complete with guys on ladders, missing ceiling tile, and torn up carpet—a total mess and totally disruptive for business.
Smash cut to today. FedEx Kinko’s is now FedEx Office. Rebranding and remodeling are complete and, I have to say, I really like what they’ve done with the place and think the remodel makes the store much more small business friendly.
February 22, 2011
I was meeting with someone and thought it would be helpful to share a quick overview of what I was working on—a new business plan that included an overhaul of my website and a completely new menu of services.
And that’s when it happened. We moved from what was intended to be a little background information to 15 minutes of “If I were you’s.” As he continued to share his thoughts, I couldn't help but wonder how we got there. But I couldn't recall one “So, what do you think?” or “Does this make sense?” or “Will this work?” I usually love feedback. But there are times when, whether writing a business plan or revamping your website, you’ve moved past the point of gathering any more input. And this was one of those times.
February 14, 2011
What was once an insurmountable competitive chasm between big companies and small businesses is shrinking and, thanks to the help of continuous advances in technology, is doing so at an increasingly exponential rate. But technology is only part of the story.
In The New Small: How a New Breed of Small Businesses is Harnessing the Power of Emerging Technologies, Phil Simon explores the key drivers that made the “new Small” possible and profiles 11 interesting companies—a broad cross section of industries and service providers. Along the way, he shares his own insights and perspectives, calling upon his 10+ years of experience as a technology consultant.
February 1, 2011
Your business is growing and you feel like it’s time to expand. You’ve wanted to upgrade your modest customer waiting area for some time and now you’re at the point where it makes sense to invest in a major renovation. You spend hours planning out every possible detail…
Laminate hardwood floors? Check.
Flat panel tv? Check.
Comfortable seating area? Check.
Fancy Keurig coffee maker? Check.
Dirty and well-worn preexisting mini blinds? Double check??
Get Free Marketing Tips
Sign up to receive your very own small business nuggets, specially hand crafted and delivered fresh to your inbox.
Get the freshest content from Shawn’s Blog via RSS
December 4, 20136 Holiday Shopping Stats Every Small Business Should Know
December 3, 2013Attention Grabbing Small Business Signage [Example]
November 25, 2013Increasing Market Awareness On The Cheap [Quick Tip]
November 14, 2013How To Make The Most Of Small Business Saturday
November 13, 2013Why Small Businesses Still Need Old School Marketing Tactics
Hall of Fame
- How To Write Great About Us Page Content (28 comments)
- What Should Be On A Business Card For Small Businesses (18)
- Visual Interest: The Rise Of Photos In Online Marketing (18)
- 5 Affordable CRM Solutions for Small Business (14)
- The Golden Rule Of Successful Social Engagement (14)
- Why Business Cards Are Still Important In The Digital Age (13)
- Don’t Be An SEO Chaser (12)
- Using Holiday Cards To Deepen Customer Relationships (10)
- Is Going Viral An Effective Marketing Tactic? (10)
- 5 Highly Effective Email Newsletter Examples (8)
My Fast Company Blog
Creative fuel for intrapreneurs and chronic idea generators
- The Telecommuting Genie Isn't Going Back In The Bottle; Here's How To Strengthen Its Magic
- Why Invasive Marketing Will Come Back To Bite You
- Managing Customer Service In The Age Of Instant Gratification
- 5 Smart Sources For Finding The Best Startup Talent
- The Key To Successful Cross-Channel Marketing
Sites I Like
- Get Your Own Badass Business Cards @Moo
- Build Ecommerce Stores That Exude Badassery @Shopify
- Make Your Phone System Simply Badass @Grasshopper
- Manage Your Social Media Badassery @Argyle Social