Updated August 13, 2018
Looking for an inexpensive business phone system?
You could use your mobile phone. But you wouldn't have a toll-free number, hold music, dial-by-name directory, or any of the other bells and whistles.
You could use your home phone (if you even still have one). But then you might get calls at all hours of the night.
Although both might be cost effective, neither can come even remotely close to the functionality and professionalism of the cloud-based business phone systems being used by your competitors.
To help you save time, we’ve researched some of the best and identified the top 3 affordable small business phone systems based on price, reliability, reputation, and available features:
1. Grasshopper Business Phone
Grasshopper offers a cloud-based Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) business phone that doesn't require expensive PBX (private branch exchange) hardware. With more than 350,000 customers, Grasshopper continues to be a very popular virtual phone system for small business owners and startups.
You can pick toll free and local business numbers and add departments and employees as your company grows. Best of all--Grasshopper's phone plans include unlimited minutes and a 30 day money back guarantee!
- Unlimited minutes
- Toll free, local, and vanity phone numbers
- Custom main greeting to welcome and direct callers
- Custom extensions to forward calls anywhere: home, office or cell
- Unlimited call handling
- Unlimited business SMS texts
- Hold music
- Visual voicemail
- Fax on demand
- WiFi calls
- 24/7 live customer support
2. RingCentral Office Phone System
RingCentral offers complete cloud-based VoIP phone systems for small businesses. Used by more than 350,000 organizations worldwide, RingCentral provides a truly all inclusive small business phone system.
Phone plans include a toll-free or local number for voice + fax, internet fax send and receive, dial-by-name directory, auto-receptionist, and advanced call forwarding. They also offer a 15-day free trial.
- 1,000 toll-free minutes
- Toll-free, local, or vanity phone numbers
- Auto-receptionist and dial-by-name directory
- Texting from your business phone number to colleagues and clients
- Music on hold
- Extensions with advanced voicemail, email notifications, and custom greetings
- Send and receive faxes from your computer or mobile device
- Advanced call forwarding
- Call monitoring
$24.99 per month with 1,000 minutes
3. 8x8 Cloud Phone System
Founded in 1987, 8x8’s mission is to provide secure and reliable cloud business phone systems and communications tools, serving more than 50,000 businesses operating in more than 150 countries.
8x8 offers a range of easily configured and powerful features including HD quality business phone calls, conference calling, and the ability to send and receive text messages to colleagues and customers from your business phone number.
- Answer and route calls with an easy-to-use call routing manager
- Record incoming and outgoing calls and play back recordings
- Complete fax solution that allows you to send and receive docs
- Personal audio conferencing bridge for hosting multiple callers.
- Easy self-service configuration and administration
Sound More Professional & Save with Affordable Business Phone Plans
Don't miss out on potential sales or frustrate your customers. Having the right business phone system can have a huge impact on customer satisfaction, which in turn drives sales, repeat business, and customer engagement.
Luckily there are some incredibly powerful and affordable cloud-based virtual phone solutions out there including Grasshopper.com, RingCentral, and 8x8. And that means you can dramatically improve customer service without investing thousands of dollars in new PBX hardware.
How much can you potentially save? RingCentral recently compared upfront costs of a traditional vs. PBX system. For a business with 20 users, approximate total upfront cost savings were $12,500 for a virtual business phone system ($6,500 for new hardware, $1,000 for setup and implementation, phone costs $3,000, sofware licenses $4,000, and on-site PBX sytem totalling approximately $14,500 vs. a one-time phone cost of approximately $2,000).
I’d say that’s well worth as little as $25.00 a month, wouldn't you?
Using Grasshopper, RingCentral, or 8x8 for Your Virtual Business Phone System?
Share your insights by leaving a comment below.
- Best Small Business Phone Systems 2018 Review
- Picking the Best Phone Solution for Small Businesses
- Grasshopper vs. RingCentral Business Phone System Comparison
As a disclaimer, I use affiliate links for some of the products listed. They are all products I absolutely love and trust and would recommend regardless of whether they have an affiliate program.
By: Shawn Graham